Monday 9 May 2011

We will grow food!

Easter holidays are over and I have lots of ideas of topics to blog about! The first is one that is very close to home: our very own Ladder Allotment. To be honest, we haven't really ventured into the world of Grow Your Own in our patio garden so far, apart from a few herbs. Our focus has been getting to grips with container gardening for flowering shrubs and perennials. But now we have no excuses because we're the proud owners of an elaborately named "4 Tier Lean to Ladder Allotment Plus" from The Ladder Allotment Company, a birthday present for my husband Jon from his parents Sue and Ron. 
When it arrived I wasn't sure what it was!! But here you can see what it looked like moments after its expert construction (which I understand was very easy indeed...)

Now we have started off the planting with a few strawberry plants and hopefully this will be the start of something very tasty!

We were inpsired in many ways when we visited RHS Wisley on Saturday and I was particularly excited when I spotted a little sign saying "donated by The Ladder Allotment Company" in the Teaching Garden. Here is what we can aspire to...

Not exactly sure what we're going to grow in the rest of our Ladder Allotment but I'll be sure to update on the progress. Certainly I'm optimistic that this is a really good way of growing in a limited patio space. It also adds some much needed vertical interest so I'm excited to see how it turns out.



No comments:

Post a Comment